Crostini with apple and caramelized onions au gratin (Courtland apple)
Ideal for entertaining, these caramelized apple and onion crostini au gratin will liven up any get‑together! Experiment with different cheese: sharp cheddar, Gruyère, Emmental, Gouda, etc.
- 8 slices of Bon Matin™ La mie de l'artisan™ Sunflower Seeds Bread
- 2 Cortland apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp(15 ml) olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup(125 ml) sodium‑reduced vegetable broth (or beef broth)
- 100 grams grated sharp or extra‑sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower seeds
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 220 °C (425 °F).
- 2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium‑low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Add maple syrup, salt and balsamic vinegar. Pour in the vegetable stock and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, 5 ‑ 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut the bread slices into 16 triangles.
- 4. Spread the apple slices evenly over each triangle cut piece of bread.
- 5. Next, spoon 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the caramelized onion mixture onto each piece and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Add sunflower seeds and pepper to taste.
- 6. Bake on a parchment‑lined baking sheet for 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- 7. Add a few thyme leaves and serve immediately.